SNAP - West Allis
9400 W Lincoln Ave, West Allis, WI 53227 | 414-323-6163
The Spay Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP) is designed to reduce pet overpopulation by providing low-cost spay/neuter services at the WHS Spay Neuter Clinic in West Allis for those who qualify. For preventative care, emergency, or any services other than spay/neuter, please contact your veterinarian. Please read the information below to see if you qualify.
Before you visit or call, please note:
- Our lobby is closed to walk-in traffic. To ensure the safety of our staff and clients, please do not visit without an appointment.
- Clients should not come to their appointment if they are experiencing any symptoms of illness. We will work with you to reschedule or coordinate sending a family member or friend in your place.
To be eligible for SNAP, you must demonstrate financial need by meeting one of the following criteria below. You may be asked to furnish proof on the day of your appointment.
- Forward card or proof of state Medicaid
- Quest card or proof of state food assistance
- Wisconsin Works
- Letter confirming current unemployment compensation
- Social Security letter or statement
- Proof of income demonstrating yearly household income at or below 150% of the poverty line.
To qualify for SNAP, your animal must meet the following criteria:
- Must be up to date on both Rabies and Distemper (FVRCP for cats and DHPP for dogs) vaccinations. You may either furnish proof of vaccination or vaccines will be administered during surgery. It is highly recommended that dogs also be up to date on Bordetella as well, although it is not required. Check here for information about our next low-cost vaccine clinic.
- Must be between the ages of 2 months and 7 years old.
- Must weigh between 2 pounds and 100 pounds to be eligible for surgery.
Your animal will not be eligible for surgery through the SNAP program if any of the following apply:
- Known or suspected adverse reaction to anesthesia
- History of having a C-section
- Diagnosis of diabetes, FeLV+, currently heartworm+, heart murmur or heart condition, obesity, or other serious illness.
Because safety is our priority, these conditions would make your animal ineligible for surgery at WHS. We recommend you follow up with a private veterinarian. There are other medical concerns that may make your animal ineligible for surgery and this determination can be made any time up to and including the date of surgery.
SNAP Drop-off/Pick-up procedures
SNAP surgeries occur Monday-Friday by appointment only. Please understand that we will be limiting the number of clients in the lobby and that we cannot accept walk-in visits. Please refer to your appointment confirmation email for detailed check-in and check-out instructions. All clients are required to wear masks while interacting with staff.
- Cat drop-off: 8:00 a.m. | Cat pick-up, same day: 4:45 p.m.*
- Dog drop-off: 8:30 a.m. | Dog pick-up, same day: 3:45 p.m.*
*Please note: the clinic is not staffed overnight. If you do not pick up your animal before we close, a $39 boarding fee will be charged and your animal may have to spend the night.
SNAP program pricing & guidelines
The following fee includes surgery, pain medication, nail trim, a small tattoo on the underbelly, and both rabies and distemper vaccines if your pet is not current.
- Cat Spay/Neuter - $45
- Dog Spay/Neuter - $75
Additional Fees May Apply
- Cryptorchid - Add $20 if over 6 months, if under 6 months, animal is ineligible for surgery
- Umbilical hernia repair - Add $15
- Flea treatment - Add $5
Available for an additional fee:
- Bordetella Vaccine (dogs) - $20.00
- Microchip (dogs/cats) - $25
- E-collar - $5.00
Book an Appointment
If you have read the above and meet the qualifications, please make an appointment using the link below.
**To secure the discounted rate, be sure to write "SNAP" in the notes section while booking.**
Out of courtesy to those interested in the SNAP program, we can only permit one canceled or rescheduled appointment. If a second appointment is canceled, it may be at least 6 months before we can schedule another time for your animal to be seen.