Animal Surrender & Re-Homing
We understand that there are sometimes circumstances that may prevent you from being able to keep your animal and we are here to help.
The Wisconsin Humane Society offers many resources and educational opportunities to help you maintain the treasured bond that you have with your animal companions. If you've exhausted these resources, please first consider exploring our virtual re-homing program. Our Virtual Rehoming Packet provides other solutions to surrendering your pet.
When you bring your animal into the Wisconsin Humane Society for surrender, he or she will receive a health and behavior assessment. There are no time or space limits at our shelter, which means that if we are able to place your animal in our adoption program, he or she will remain with us until a new, loving home is found.
If you do choose to surrender, please have the following prepared:
- An appointment is requested so we’re better prepared for your animal’s arrival. We ask for these appointments so that we can better manage our shelter population, avoid overcrowding, and ensure we are appropriately resourced to meet the needs of the animals we are privileged to serve. We do not euthanize for reasons of time or space – asking for appointments for owned animals is one strategy we employ to uphold this commitment. We understand that emergent situations occur and we will not turn an animal away. To begin the surrender process, please contact the location nearest you to be added to the surrender call list:
* Milwaukee Campus 414-431-6102
* Ozaukee Campus 262-377-7580
* Racine Campus 262-554-6699
* Green Bay Campus 920-469-3111
* Door County Campus 920-746-1111
- Complete and submit a dog surrender profile or a cat surrender profile online before you arrive.
- Please bring your photo ID to the surrender appointment.
- If you have them, please bring your animal's medical records at the time of surrender.
Please note: We are willing to work around time constraints and will never turn away an animal in need.
These fees go toward the care of your animal while we help them find a new home.
|Animal||Single Animal (Fee Per Animal)||Multiple Animals (Fee Applied to Group)|
|Exotics||$75.00||No group discount|
Arrangements can be made with WHS if you are currently unable to afford the surrender fees. We will never turn an animal away due to financial constraints.
There are some circumstances where animals cannot be placed for adoption.
- When animals show signs of aggressive behavior during the administration of a behavior assessment. Please note that some animals respond differently to strangers, especially in a new environment.
- When a veterinarian determines that the animal's physical health greatly impairs their quality of life in an untreatable way.
The Wisconsin Humane Society has many resources, including our virtual re-homing program, to help you keep your animal in your home. Just ask us for help; we're here for you during this difficult time.
Click here to see our shelter hours and location. For more information about surrendering an animal to the Wisconsin Humane Society, call 414-ANIMALS.