Animal Surrender & Re-Homing
We understand that there are sometimes circumstances that may prevent you from being able to keep your animal and we are here to help. The Wisconsin Humane Society offers many resources and opportunities to help you maintain the treasured bond that you have with your animal companions:
- For behavior and training support please see our Ask the Experts page or call/email our free behavior tip line at 414-431-6173 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you've exhausted these resources, please first consider exploring online re-homing. Our Virtual Rehoming Packet provides other solutions to surrendering your pet.
When you bring your animal into the Wisconsin Humane Society for surrender, he or she will receive a health and behavior assessment. There are no time or space limits at our shelter, which means that if we are able to place your animal in our adoption program, he or she will remain with us until a new, loving home is found.
If you do choose to surrender, please have the following prepared:
- An appointment is requested so we’re better prepared for your animal’s arrival. We ask for these appointments so that we can better manage our shelter population, avoid overcrowding, and ensure we are appropriately resourced to meet the needs of the animals we are privileged to serve. We do not euthanize for reasons of time or space – asking for appointments for owned animals is one strategy we employ to uphold this commitment. We understand that emergency situations occur and we will not turn an animal away. To begin the surrender process, please contact the location nearest you to be added to the surrender list:
* Milwaukee Campus: 414-431-6115 | email@example.com
* Ozaukee Campus: 262-377-7580
* Racine Campus: 262-554-6699
* Green Bay Campus: 920-469-3111
* Door County Campus: 920-746-1111
- Please bring your photo ID to the surrender appointment.
- If you have them, please bring your animal's medical records at the time of surrender.
Please note: We are willing to work around time constraints and will never turn away an animal in need.
These fees go toward the care of your animal while we help them find a new home.
|Animal||Single Animal |
(Fee Per Animal)
|Multiple Animals |
(Fee Applied to Group)
|Exotics||$75.00||No group discount|
Arrangements can be made with WHS if you are currently unable to afford the surrender fees. We will never turn an animal away due to financial constraints.
There are some circumstances where animals cannot be placed up for adoption.
All safe, healthy animals are placed into our adoption program and have as long as it takes to find a new home. Whether or not we can place other animals into our adoption program is determined based on several factors. These include the severity of the medical or behavior condition, quality of life, risk to other animals in our care, public safety, and the ability to manage significant medical or behavioral issues.
The Wisconsin Humane Society has many behavioral resources to help you keep your animal in your home, or you may explore online re-homing to find a new family to care for them. Just ask us for help; we're here for you during this difficult time.