The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is a private nonprofit organization whose mission is to build a community where people value animals and treat them with respect and kindness.
Founded in 1879, the Wisconsin Humane Society has been saving the lives of animals in need for nearly 140 years. WHS is a 501(c)(3) organization and operates animal shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door and Brown Counties, as well as a spay/neuter clinic in West Allis. WHS annually serves 40,000 animals. We receive no general government funding and we are not part of any national umbrella organization. As the largest shelter in the state of Wisconsin, WHS offers the following specialized services:
- A comprehensive adoption program that matches 13,000 homeless animals with new families; there are no time or space limits for any animals in our adoption program. We receive nearly all the area's surrendered animals, as well as animals from local and state animal control facilities, and animals transferred from other shelters. We are the stray animal holding facility for municipalities in Racine, Brown, Door and Ozaukee Counties only.
- Affordable spay/neuter services open to the public at the WHS Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis.
- A pet food bank to assist families with pets through tough financial times.
- Youth programs for children and adults designed to teach compassion, respect, and care for animals.
- Intervention programs for children to end neglect and abuse and break the link between violence against animals and humans.
- Outreach programming to serve families with pets in underserved areas.
- A foster program for animals in domestic violence situations.
- Dog training classes for dogs and puppies.
- A Wildlife Rehabilitation Center that provides rescue, rehabilitation, and release for 5,000 wild animals annually, at our Milwaukee Campus.
- 2018 Audited Financial Statements
- 2018 Snapshot
- 2017 Snapshot
- 2017 Audited Financial Statements
- 2016 Audited Financial Statements
- 2016 Snapshot
- 2015 Audited Financial Statements
- 2015 Snapshot
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2014 Snapshot
- 2014 Audited Financial Statements
- Core Values
Wisconsin DATCP Dog Seller and Dog Facility Operator Licenses
Milwaukee Campus – License 267013
Ozaukee Campus – License 286367
Racine Campus – License 284731
Green Bay Campus – 468759
Door County Campus – 468760
Green Bay Adoption Center Pet Supplies Plus - 468761