menu close open event RSVP required ticketed event
Toggle Search

How to Report Abuse

The Wisconsin Humane Society does not have the jurisdiction to investigate or prosecute animal abuse, but we do want to provide concerned citizens with information on how to make an effective police report. All reports of suspected animal cruelty or neglect should be directed to the local police department. If you observe or suspect animal abuse or neglect is occurring, take the following steps:

1. Contact your local non-emergency police department as soon as possible.

If you witness an animal in a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1.

2. Share detailed, factual information with the dispatcher when you call the police department.

Police are best able to perform their duties when provided with detailed descriptions of the suspected abuse.

The more details you provide, the greater the chance that the law will be upheld, and the animal helped.

Make sure you have the following information before calling the police:

  • What type of incident(s) did you witness?
  • Who was involved in the incident(s)?
  • When did the incident(s) take place?
  • Where did the incident(s) take place?