Our mission is to make a difference for animals and the people who love them.
Founded in 1879, the Wisconsin Humane Society has been saving the lives of animals in need for more than 140 years. WHS is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and operates animal shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door and Brown Counties, as well as a spay/neuter clinic in West Allis. Our Federal Tax ID is: #39-0810533.
WHS annually serves 40,000 animals. We receive no general government funding and we are not part of any national umbrella organization. As the largest shelter in the state of Wisconsin, WHS offers the following specialized services:
- A comprehensive adoption program that matches 10,000 homeless animals with new families; there are no time or space limits for any animals in our adoption program. We receive nearly all the area's surrendered animals, as well as animals from local and state animal control facilities, and animals transferred from other shelters. We are the stray animal holding facility for municipalities in Racine, Brown, Door and Ozaukee Counties only.
- Affordable spay/neuter services open to the public at the WHS Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis.
- A pet food bank to assist families with pets through tough financial times.
- Youth programs for children designed to teach compassion, respect, and care for animals.
- Outreach programming to serve families with pets in underserved areas.
- A foster program for animals in domestic violence situations.
- Dog training classes for dogs and puppies.
- A Wildlife Rehabilitation Center that provides rescue, rehabilitation, and release for 5,000 wild animals annually, at our Milwaukee Campus.
Compassion, respect, and kindness. We are compassionate, respectful, and kind, in every interaction with every person and every animal. In a world where rancor is often seen in public discourse and in the animal welfare community, our commitment to compassion, respect, and kindness sets us apart.
Positive approach. We are authentically, sincerely, positive. We love this work and are inspired every day by the difference we are able to make and the people and animals we meet. We know there is still sadness and tragedy for many animals, but we believe we are most able to change those conditions when we find ways to feel authentically optimistic.
Innovation. We are trailblazing, progressive, innovative, ever-improving, forward-thinking people, proud to be a role model for the best in animal welfare work. We’re willing to try new things and rethink old ways. We are each committed to learning and growing every day of our professional lives.
Professionalism. We are animal welfare professionals, and our standards are really, really high. We believe in strong processes and a focused, strategic, flexible approach to challenges. We know that our mission is real only when we can effectively make it happen.
Equity. We believe we can achieve our mission only when we welcome all people to join with us. We strive to recognize the forces that have created inequity in our communities and our field, and respond to the impact of that inequity on animals and the people who love them.
Wisconsin DATCP Dog Seller and Dog Facility Operator Licenses
Milwaukee Campus – License 267013
Ozaukee Campus – License 286367
Racine Campus – License 284731
Green Bay Campus – 468759
Door County Campus – 468760