Become a Foster
How to Become a Foster Parent
1) Make sure you meet all the foster guidelines:
To become a foster parent, you must have all of the following:
- Homeowners or renters insurance
- Health insurance
- Wisconsin residency and live within a 1-hour drive of a WHS Campus (Mt. Pleasant, Milwaukee, Saukville, Green Bay, or Sturgeon Bay)
- Must be 18 years or older
If you have companion animals of your own at home, all must be:
- Spayed or neutered
- Up to date on their vaccines
- Able to be physically separated in your home from the foster animal(s) - The length of the isolation period varies based on the needs of the individual foster animal(s).
2) Watch our online orientation video
Duration: 15 minutes
1. Make sure your speakers are turned on or headphones are plugged in.
2. Click or tap on the video to begin playing.
3. Click on the square-shaped icon in the bottom right corner of the video screen to enlarge.
3) Fill out a volunteer application
This is your third and final step to becoming a foster parent with the Wisconsin Humane Society!
Once you have completed the mandatory orientation video above, please submit an application and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
We can't thank you enough for your interest in fostering! The time you'll spend caring for animals in need is truly invaluable and expands our lifesaving capacity. Once you're onboard as a foster, you'll also be invited to join a private group on Facebook so you can network with other foster parents, ask questions, trade tips, share updates, or simply boast about how great your current foster animal is doing! Though you'll be volunteering independently at home, you'll quickly realize you're part of a tight knit and wise community of foster parents.