The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is a private nonprofit organization whose mission is to build a community where people value animals and treat them with respect and kindness.
Founded in 1879, the Wisconsin Humane Society has been saving the lives of animals in need for 137 years. WHS operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee and Racine Counties, as well as a spay/neuter clinic in West Allis. WHS annually serves 35,000 animals. We receive no general government funding and we are not part of any national umbrella organization. As the largest shelter in the state of Wisconsin, WHS offers the following specialized services:
- A comprehensive adoption program that matches 10,000 homeless animals with new families; there are no time or space limits for any animals in our adoption program. We receive nearly all the area's surrendered animals, as well as animals from local and state animal control facilities, and animals transferred from other shelters. We are the stray animal holding facility for Racine and Ozaukee Counties only.
- Affordable spay/neuter services open to the public at the WHS Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis.
- A pet food bank to assist families with pets through tough financial times.
- Youth programs for children and adults designed to teach compassion, respect and responsible care for animals.
- Intervention programs for children to end neglect and abuse and break the link between violence against animals and humans.
- Outreach programming to serve families with pets in underserved areas.
- A foster program for animals in domestic violence situations.
- Dog training classes for dogs and puppies at our Milwaukee and Ozaukee Campuses.
- The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center that provides rescue, rehabilitation and release for more than 5,000 wild animals annually, at our Milwaukee Campus.
- 2016 Audited Financial Statements
- 2016 Snapshot
- 2015 Audited Financial Statements
- 2015 Snapshot
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2014 Snapshot
- 2014 Audited Financial Statements
- 2013 Audited Financial Statements
- 2013 Annual Report
- 2013 Snapshot
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2011 Annual Report
- 2010 Annual Report
- 2009 Annual Report
- Core Values
Wisconsin DATCP Dog Seller and Dog Facility Operator Licenses
Milwaukee Campus – License 267013
Ozaukee Campus – License 286367
Racine Campus – License 284731