For Immediate Release
Media Contact: Jeffrey Raddatz
Direct: (414) 431-6121
Frosting for the Flower Bed Bad For Fido
WI. – Cocoa mulch adds a lovely,
calorie free scent to the air for gardeners in the
midst of planning beautiful flower beds. Unfortunately,
cocoa covered countryside’s contains high
levels of theobromine, the same chemical that makes
chocolate harmful to dogs. Dogs are highly sensitive
to these chemicals, called methylxanthines. In dogs,
low doses of methylxanthine can cause mild gastrointestinal
upset (vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain);
higher doses can cause rapid heart rate, muscle
tremors, seizures, and death.
The Wisconsin Humane Society warns all dog and cat
owners about the potential threat of illness or
death that cocoa mulch could have on your animal.
Instead, WHS recommends cedar products as an alternative
to the Cocoa Mulch. Many cedar products have the
sweet-smelling scent that many people are looking
for and can put pet owners at ease.
If you feel your animal has consumed the cocoa mulch,
contact your veterinarian immediately.
A WHS veterinarian can be available to talk with
the media about the dangers of Cocoa mulch. To schedule
a time to talk to a vet, please contact Jeffrey
Raddatz at 414-431-6121.