Cats and Countertop Jumping
This problem can be solved with some simple aversion techniques.
- Never leave enticing bits of food on the counter when not at home.
- Be sure the cat has access to food and water at all times.
- Use the following remote corrections to effectively discourage countertop prowling:
- overlap cookie sheets or long pieces of cardboard along the edge of the counter where the cat jumps up;
- place a motion detector that reacts with a startling sound on the countertop when leaving home for the day;
- apply double-sided tape on the counter or
- place a carpet runner with plastic points facing upward over area.
- Place Snappy Trainers along counters. Snappy Trainers look like mousetraps with a large flap or paddle. When tripped they spring closed, make a noise while flipping over in the air, and startle but does not harm your pet.
- Some cats seem to have an aversion to lemon scents. Place lemon scent air fresheners in areas that you don’t want your cat to go near.